Pages

Friday 25 November, 2011

No Rural Bhutan – If We Do What We Speak

Whenever, I had to introduce myself to friends in abroad saying I come from a very small country with an area of 36, 394 sq. kms and population less than 0.7M. The first reaction I get from them is ‘OK’ then everyone must be knowing each other. That makes me reflect and think again, do we really know each other? Perhaps, every Bhutanese now may have to ask that question yourself.

We have realized today that we have enough people who can bring changes in Bhutan. It will not take much time to make a dream place in Bhutan, if we are all genuine in what we “Think” and “Do”. Unfortunately, all those people are in Thimphu, Phuentsoling and other urban centre and completely forgot their own roots.

I am not exaggerating here, it is fact that there are many of us who have never been back to their own villages and lost contact with their relatives and communities for so long. Today, we blame for lack of development in remote Dzongkhags and I can confidently say that many of our policy makers, efficient leaders, workers, engineers, doctors all come from those remote places. And that makes me wonder, why?

Our youth do not know about the Rural Life, because parents never took them to their root place. Our so called Dasho’s and educated parents are the ones, who commited the mistake and preach other wise. Today, there are thousands of youth passing out every year with university graduates and their choices too remain and confined in urban areas. Sorry, we cannot blame them alone we have brought up them in such environment and we failed to facilitate and give them the right values.

I have come across in my life many officials, beautiful women, handsome men and friends whom I can’t believe that they can ever belong to those places they mention as their hometown. Women are so beautiful and men are so handsome physically that I have never come across such people in those places. That makes me ask every time, Are you sure? Yes ofcourse wai, but I live in Thimphu and Phuntsoling and my parents are settled here. I have never been to my village and only my grandparents and relatives lives there are the answers I usually get.

Perhaps, if all those intellectual people could visit their own villages’ atleast once in a year, talk with them and try to understand their problems. I am confident enough to say that huge difference could be made within no time. Besides, I should mention that it is not only problems that exist in rural area, but there are many beautiful things that you have never experienced in your urban life and you may be able to learn those values as well.

Yes, it is good to show concerns of common people on Facebook, twitter and finger point eachother on media papers in urban places. But more empirical would be to act and make differences in the field.  That is completely lacking in Bhutan at the moment. And fact is that those same old people without the degrees, without computer knowledge and skills are serving with the utmost dedication for the common people and I wish for God sake, if stop blaming them.

As Dalia lama said. “If you can, help others; If you cannot do that atleast do not harm them”

LET US NOW GO BEYOUND PAPERS AND INTERNET AND ACT GENIUNELY IF WE ARE FOR COMMON PEOPLE.
 

4 comments:

  1. true.....its easy to say...difficult to act,,,,,we need people in the fields...villages....and of course urban people to act for causes in rural areas.....well...as for the people knowing eachother, even here in my college, often people makes joke about it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my knowledge, students are able to adopt higher qualifications after their 12th grade from the rural area because they are away from the latest modern facilities. More students are engaged in studying rather than focussing on technologies and other influences. Well, every advantage comes with disadvantages.
    I found your article absolute and a mind awakening one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oie Leki,

    After few years of my service in Government, I am going back to my root. I am planning to become educated farmer there.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sogyel & Yessi7, Thanks for your compliments. @ Peldhen..that sounds great.

    ReplyDelete